Saturday, March 14, 2009

I'm pretty awesome sometimes.

This week was pretty jam-packed with amazing adventures, mostly involving my friend Julia (aka my twin). We went downtown twice this week! On Wednesday we went for shopping purposes but also to go to the Titanic Exhibit that's ongoing here until the end of the month and it was pretty fucking amazing.

When you go in, they give you a boarding pass and its supposed to actually represent a real person that was on the Titanic before it sank.The whole point was that you would read about that particular person and at the end of the exhibit you would find out whether or not your person survived or not. I was Mrs. Isador Strauss.
I was 63 years old and I was traveling back to New York with my husband, maid and manservant. My husband and I were the owners of Macy's in New York, so obviously we were traveling first class because we were filthy rich.
Here are some random facts about the Titanic. A first class ticket to board the Titanic back in the day cost something like 700$ but if you think of how much that was worth today, it would have cost around like 45,000. Crazy, right?? Also, a lot of the people that were on the Titanic weren't even supposed to be on that ship but because of the coal strike going on in Europe at the time, many miners were heading over to America in search of better jobs and better lives. It's sad really. About 700 people survived the Titanic and over 1500 people died. :(

Including my person. Her story was actually really heartbreaking and there were things written about her and her husband all over the exhibit. She was actually supposed to have boarded a lifeboat but, "she refused, saying, "We have lived together for many years. Where you go, I go."" (quoted from Wikipedia). I felt very connected to her, even though I've never heard of her before then but I think if I was in her situation, I probably would've chosen to stay as well.

What was really scary though was looking at the huge wall that had the list of everyone that survived and who was left as Missing all separated by which class they were in as well as crew. It was sad to see the very long lists of "missing" from third class and the crew.

Anyways, it was really cool. It kind of made me want to go and visit more exhibits and museums. And at the beginning of it all they take two pictures of you in front of a green screen and at the end of the exhibit there is a station you can go to view your pictures. Sooo...

Not my most flattering photo, but it was all in the fun of it. We were like, what should we do? Let's be scared, ok, HOLD ME!! haha. It looks more like we're about to get hit by the ship hahaha. I love it. I'm gonna frame it because it's so amazing.

I just wanted to write about that, we went downtown again yesterday and again went shopping and I bought the complete series of Freaks and Geeks and Russell Brand's book, My Booky Wook (and a bunch of magazines lol). We also went to go see The Last House On The Left and it was very good, like really really good. I actually liked it a lot better than the original because it was a lot more serious and didn't have any awkward strange comedic relief that was at times completely unnecessary. I was impressed and I did at some points shriek in the movie theatre. I think I've finally come to terms with how girly and squirmish I really am. :)

Btw I just chatted very briefly with Ryan on google talk! I'm gonna go and stare at my computer some more until he comes back online. haha. <3

No comments: